Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Day 3


Last night we ventured out, this time taking a stroller with us.  Chloe liked 
that much better and we ended up walking a total of two miles round trip to 
McDonald's.  Oh the stares we got... we literally are the only Americans here.  
Ordering was interesting, we were hoping the had numbers but only pictures.  
They finally got what we were saying and pointing to and we got it just as 
ordered.  (no onion = happy momma) We were told Chloe did not eat much and the 
foods she would eat were only soft foods like noodles or rice.  We ordered her 
chicken nugget happy meal and pulled the crispy edge off and broke the chicken 
into tiny pieces and she ate 3 of them! She watched me dip a fry into ketchup 
and then picked up a fry and dipped it too.  At first she shivered as if she did 
not like it and then she proceeded to dip and dip, you know the typical kid 
thing where you eat more ketchup then fries.  It is gross to me but I let her do 
it this time.  :) The toy (just a rabbit figurine of some sort) has not left her 
hands since. :) 

This morning we met our guide and went to the West Buddhist temple.  It was very 
beautiful, the detail of the buildings is amazing, all the while sad to me that 
so many really believe in these different statues and look to them for luck, 
peace, health, happiness, etc.  Jeff began to talk to Penny our guide about her 
beliefs and was able to share some about why we believe what we do.  She was 
very open to hear God's word.  Please be praying for her to continue to be open 
to the Holy Spirit and that we will have more opportunities before we leave to 
share or answer more questions that she has.  

She then took us to the oldest folk hero house in Fuzhou, followed by a visit to 
a tea room.  There we were able to taste different teas and even taught the 
proper way to hold a tea cup. :) Chloe was a trooper but just got too hot and 
was a little whiny and ready to go back to the hotel.  When we got back to the 
room she went straight to her bed.  She does this often and we have to keep 
telling her she can get up and play.  She fell asleep in no time.  We have found 
that she likes the room dark and no lights on.  As soon as you do that she is 
out like a light.  

Once she woke up Jeff made her some noodles and then we decided to be 
adventurous and  take a taxi to the mall.  Our guide wrote on the back of a card 
where to take us and off we went.  The smell of the taxi was enough to make me 
sick, that coupled with the driving I really wondered if I would survive.  It 
was about a 15 minute trip there and I was relieved I made it there without 
loosing my crackers that I had for lunch.  Ha ha  The mall was very clean, and 
cool! We walked around for about two hours wondering in and out of stores.  Not 
that I have ever wanted to be a star of some sort, but I am thankful I am not 
famous.  The stares we get become annoying.  You can not walk or go in any store 
without people looking at us like we are from Mars.  Some will stop and turn 
around just so they can stare at you.  Little kids almost run into things 
because they are looking at us. If you are in a store the rush over to you to 
help you, nice, but I do just want to look.  Chloe LOVES mirrors.  If she sees 
one she stops, laughs, makes different facial expressions, and even dances.  She 
had us laughing several times as we were pulling her away from yet another 
mirror.  I think we will be getting her one for her room for sure!  That and 
some blackout curtains and she will be good to go! :) All and all we enjoyed 
just being out, being in a mall made me feel a little bit like home and we made 
it back without any problems.  Oh, and the taxi there and back was a total of 44 
Yuan which is 7.18 US dollar... not to bad and you do not tip them because they 
include that in the price.  

Tonight we are having our guide order pizza from a local pizza restaurant.  She 
said it is similar to Papa Johns but cheaper.  Hopefully I will like it! 

We are thankful we have been healthy, Chloe is happy and continues to amaze us 
with what she seems to understand.  For a girl that can not talk she seems to 
comprehend a good bit.  I made a countdown for the kids so they could countdown 
until the get to meet Chloe.  I should have made one for myself to countdown 
until I get to see them!  :) Since 11 days seems to long, I will start with only 
2 more days in Fuzhou and then we fly to Guangzhou! I can make it!  

Love to you all~
Jeff & Katie








No comments:

Post a Comment